Many people have many different opinions regarding student athletes. Some people stereotypically think we are lazy and disrespectful, while others admire how we attempt to balance school, our sport, and somewhat of a social life. 

As student athletes, we have a lot on our plate. 

School: Go to class (or miss class if we have games and try to make up whatever we missed), attempt to pay attention and take notes despite 6am lifts, practice, or extra work you may personally do on your own to get better. Studying. Get good grades to boost team GPA or get good enough grades to play. Homework. Midterms. Exams.

Sport: Weightlifting. Conditioning. Practice. Mental training. Games. Competitions.

Social life: Friendships and relationships both at school and at home (most likely hours or plane flights away). A lot of athletes are out of state so our social support may be across the country.

This is only a small portion of what is on our plate. Pretty much a snack.

We also are typically unable to have jobs because of our schedules, so having money to spend on food or activities is not always an available option.

Imagine having all of this and adding another factor... being a woman.

When it comes to athletics, women athletes and coaches are not as respected compared to their male counterparts, especially by men. 


Here is a quick story.
I was once told that I had to wear a top that covered my shoulders when I worked out. Why? Well, I was told that we should be held to a "higher standard". I was in shock. I was confused by the fact that my shoulders showing were of low standard, but it was okay for male athletes in the same facility to be shirtless. 

This goes to say not only do we have to worry about school and our sport, but being sexualized as well. Women no matter the field they are in are still seen as inferior to men and are paid less. 






Lastly, I would like to say that I love being a student athlete. It has taught me so much. Having been a female student athlete I know I am prepared for whatever the world throws at me! There are also many great benefits to being a student athlete, but it is also important to realize that it is not as easy as it may look. 

Here is one last image to think about, before you may judge a male or female student athlete.

Sam Loose




Comments

  1. I loved this post. I am not a female athlete but as a woman who tried to be in the industry I complete get it. Many years ago I was a trainer for the football team at Marshall, I loved the experience but I was automatically called a "hoe" because it was assumed woman trainers sleep with the players. Its no where near the same of what you deal with but I get it and I respect all that you do. Making it so my daughter has an example to never give up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment